2018 Style Hacks
It's finally 2018, and even though you have the opportunity to start fresh and change your life at any time of the year, there is always something special about a new year that gives us that extra boost of confidence that we need to break bad habits and start anew.
I'm not here to tell you what habits you should break or to make bets on how long your resolutions will actually last (wishing you the best luck, though)! I'm just here to show you a few simple ways to look great while you're doing you. Let this be the year that you take full advantage of your resources and never let a bleh outfit kill your vibe. You have everything you need, and no excuses to not be more fab than ever.
In this blog, we'll go over 9 tricks to level up your outfits -- no spending necessary.
1. Don't skip the belt. I'm a big pants fan. Sure, skirts and dresses are great, but in the winter time, Michigan temps drop below zero and I'm not about to sacrifice my legs to the frozen wasteland. Jeans, wide-leg trousers, and skinny pants are perfect for the cold, but sometimes they can be bland. I like to make them look more pulled-together by wearing a belt -- even if I don't need one. So don't neglect your belts, you can even tie them or wear them loosely for a more trendy look!
2. Grab a scarf! Use the dangerously low temperatures as an excuse to show off your best layers. Do you know how many ways there are to wear a scarf? The answer is: too many for you to not get enough wear out of one. You can tie them, wear them on your neck, your purse, your shoulders, or even your wrist if its a small one! The help make plain outfits more complex. Just be careful with clashing patterns!
3. Try new sock looks. Socks are so underrated, but the way you wear them can really transform the look you're going for! The socks you get for Christmas every year? pull them up a little or scrunch them down to make a cozy look. Try wearing them with cute sneakers or even booties. Frilly, lacy socks are cute, and patterned socks can complement the basics nicely. It seems simple, but socks can really pull your outfit together.
4. Wear heels more often. I don't recommend this for everyone, especially if you really hate walking in heels or have terrible balance, then don't push yourself! However, heels make you look ultra-confident (they make your legs and booty look great too), and that confidence is going to be greatly needed this new year when you're trying to make the best impressions. Ripped jeans and work pants are great friends of heels, try them on and see how you can make them work!
5. Layer shirts. That's right, not jackets or sweaters -- shirts. This is one of the many blessings of colder weather. You can basically make your summer wardrobe last all year long by layering things up. For example, that plain black turtleneck shirt would be so cute under that sheer blush peplum tank. Use your best judgement and mix and match away! Limitless styles.
6. Bring out your statement jewelry piece. Chunky beaded necklace that grandma gave you for Christmas last year? BRING IT OUT. You will be surprised at how easy it is to make geek chic these days. And besides, that's the point of a statement piece, right? Make a statement. Own it. Everyone is attracted to their own jewelry -- no one has to like your pieces but you! Just please do not wear more than one at the same time; it could get messy.
7. Keep your nails well-manicured. *Note: this does not mean you have to pay ungodly amounts of money every few weeks to get your gels/acrylics redone. In fact, you don't even need to paint your nails. Sometimes the best manicure is the one that you do at home with a clipper, file, buffer, and cuticle pusher. Just keep them clean and you'll feel better about them.
8. Change the laces on your shoes. Many people overlook shoelaces, which is totally understandable. But there are so many colors to choose from out there, so who said you had to settle for basic blacks and whites? For years I had the same pair of grey combat boots, and I didn't even really love them until I changed the basic grey laces out for a bright turquoise color. It was like giving my boots a facelift and they got so many compliments! Dare to be bold this year, you could fall in love with the results.
9. Find your lip color (or colors) and live in it. I'm a big supporter of minimal makeup. I'm a big supporter of lots of makeup too, but sometimes I feel like lots of eyeshadow color and intense blush can be distracting from someone's natural features! The one makeup item that I think can make the biggest difference is a good lip color. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how perfectly complex your outfit is. If you can slap on your best lip, you can finish the look.
Do what you can to be your most confident this year. 2018 is just getting started!
Happy Styling! x